Share The Warmth
A Lifesaver for Those with Nowhere Else to Turn
Share The Warmth is a nonprofit program administered by The Salvation Army that helps Oklahomans facing financial emergencies to pay their home heating costs and stay warm through the winter. Share The Warmth began in 1983 as a joint effort of The Salvation Army and Oklahoma Natural Gas, that assists Oklahomans living in counties served by Oklahoma Natural Gas. It has been a lifesaver for those with nowhere else to turn.
The program helps seniors, individuals with disabilities and others whose immediate cash resources simply cannot cover their home heating expenses. Recipients are selected by The Salvation Army and all applications for aid are processed through its network of facilities and caseworkers. The Salvation Army makes payments directly to the utility or fuel supplier on behalf of the person chosen to receive the aid.
Although Oklahoma Natural Gas is the founding utility, Share the Warmth helps Oklahomans regardless of how they heat their homes. Funds are distributed exclusively by The Salvation Army to pay for natural gas, electricity, propane and even wood. It makes no difference. The goal is to keep people warm.
How You Can Contribute
There are several ways to contribute to the program.
- The Share The Warmth Pledge Program is a convenient way to contribute for customers who participate in the Automatic Bank Draft or Paperless Billing programs, or who pay electronically or by phone. To pledge, you may designate any amount you choose to be added to your natural gas bill each month.
- Another popular way to donate is to designate a gift to Share The Warmth on your monthly natural gas bill and include that amount in your payment. You may give as much or as little as you like, as often as you like.
- If you prefer, you may also contribute by check or money order directly to The Salvation Army. Just be sure to indicate that your gift is for the Share The Warmth program.
Mail your contributions to:
Salvation Army Headquarters
Share The Warmth Program
P.O. Box 12600
Oklahoma City, OK 73157
How to Apply for Aid
To receive help in paying your heating bills through the Share The Warmth program, you will need to apply at your nearest Salvation Army location, where you'll be asked to meet the following requirements:
- You must be the person responsible for paying your home heating expenses.
- You must live in a county served by Oklahoma Natural Gas.
- You must be facing an immediate financial emergency that prevents you from paying your home-heating costs.
Home Energy Aid Month
One month each year Oklahoma Natural Gas Company joins The Salvation Army, the state's two largest electric utilities and other local sponsors to observe Home Energy Aid Month. In communities across the state, various fundraising events are held to raise awareness of the importance of programs such as Share The Warmth to help pay home energy bills for Oklahomans facing a temporary financial crisis.