How to Detect a Natural Gas Leak
To report a natural gas odor or emergency, leave the area immediately and call 800-458-4251.
If you smell a rotten egg or sulfur-like odor in or around your home, at work or in your neighborhood, this odor may be the result of a natural gas leak. Natural gas is colorless and odorless, so we’ve added an odorant called mercaptan to warn you of a natural gas leak.
Outside: Blowing dirt, persistent bubbling in puddles or standing water or dead vegetation in an otherwise healthy area are signs of a possible leak around a pipeline.
Inside: If you see a yellow flame instead of a blue flame on your range, furnace or water heater, it’s a warning sign that the natural gas is not burning properly. This can lead to an increased potential for carbon monoxide poisoning as well as higher fuel bills.
An unusual noise like a hissing or roaring sound can indicate a leak on a pipeline. If you hear a hissing noise around your natural gas piping, meter or appliances, or if your natural gas appliance fails to ignite, you may have a natural gas leak.
Natural gas is flammable and can be ignited by heat, sparks or flames. If you smell gas or have any of these warning signs:
- Leave the area immediately.
- Do not use electrical equipment.
- Call 911 and Oklahoma Natural Gas at 800-458-4251.