Oklahoma City, Oklahoma -- December 14 -- With cold weather here, Oklahoma Natural Gas is sharing Carbon Monoxide awareness and safety tips to keep you and your family safe.
"Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless and tasteless gas created by the incomplete or improper burning of fuel and can occur any time of year," said Matt Carlquist, safety and health manager for Oklahoma Natural Gas. "For our customers' safety, we are sharing some good reminders and prevention tips."
How can you reduce the probability of carbon monoxide exposure?
- Install and maintain a carbon monoxide detector, available at most retail and hardware stores.
- Pay attention to the color of the flame on your natural gas appliances -- a yellow flame instead of a blue flame is a potential warning sign that the appliance is not operating or venting properly. If you see a yellow flame, turn off your burner and call Texas Gas Service.
- Never use a natural gas range or outdoor space heater to heat your home.
- Check for proper ventilation of your appliances and chimney flues.
- Maintenance is key! Clean or replace your furnace filters regularly and have a qualified contractor inspect your heating equipment and natural gas appliances annually.
What are the symptoms of carbon monoxide exposure?
- Flu-like symptoms
- Ringing in the ears
In some circumstances, carbon monoxide exposure can be deadly. If you experience the symptoms mentioned above or suspect the presence of carbon monoxide, immediately leave the house or building, then call 911 to request medical assistance.