When You Smell Gas
To report a natural gas odor or emergency, leave the area immediately and call 911 and us at 800-458-4251.
What to Do If You Smell Gas
Natural gas is intentionally odorized so that the average person can smell it easily. Natural gas is flammable and can be ignited by heat, sparks or flames. If you think you have a leak follow these rules to avoid causing a spark, fire or explosion:
- DON'T open or close your windows or garage door.
- DON'T light a match or cigarette.
- DON'T use your phone, tablet, computer or other mobile devices.
- DON'T flip a light switch or ring a doorbell.
- DON'T start your vehicle if nearby.